[OSGeo-Discuss] Upgrade Planning 2014 - Project Feedback

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Apr 30 05:46:28 PDT 2014

I have added an idea to the SAC Transition Plan page
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2014).  What
happened recently during our infrastructure 'challenges' was that when I
awoke one morning (Atlantic, AST timezone) all of our SysAdmins were on
the West coast of North America and fast asleep for at least another 4
hours, and I was asked to go into the #osuosl IRC channel to speak with
the host's technical people about OSGeo's servers (it should not have
been me doing that!).  Therefore I have added the following to the
transition plan:

* Have a Systems "fire crew" on alert throughout the entire day, 24x7

** at least one "fire crew" member (ready to handle any emergency SAC
issues) on alert at any time in the day, which includes one in the North
American timezone, one in a European timezone, and one in an
Asia/Pacific timezone

** "fire crew" positions should be funded/paid

-jeff