[OSGeo-Discuss] Java GIS developers: a new open source project to speed-up map rendering

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Mon Feb 3 10:08:23 PST 2014

Hi,
I wanted to point out some new work being developed in open source
to speed up Java map drawing, the Marlin renderer:
https://github.com/bourgesl/marlin-renderer

The renderer is an improved version of the Pisces renderer found in the
OpenJDK
builds, which provides significant speed up over Pisces, and significant
scalability
benefits over Ductus, the closed source rasterizer included in the Oracle
JDK binary builds.

I believe this to be of interest of anyone running/developing Java GIS
applications
against OpenJDK, and of anyone doing multi-threaded map rendering against
any
JDK (examples coming to mind, DeeGree and uDig).

So, I invite you to give it a spin and report back, we also have
a mailing list to share experiences and coordinate development here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/marlin-renderer

Here are some benchmark results for the specific case of GeoServer to wet
your appetite:
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.it/2014/02/geoserver-improved-scalability.html

Cheers
Andrea