[OSGeo-Discuss] New to OSGeo

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jan 28 11:29:19 PST 2014

On 1/28/2014 2:09 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 01/28/2014 11:04 AM, Pulkit Agarwal wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm new to OSGeo and would like to contribute.
>> I read the various prerequisites in terms of knowledge of different
>> platforms of the organization. And i have basic idea of almost all the
>> platforms mentioned. In-fact i worked on an academic project involving Open
>> street maps.At the moment, I don't have a particular area in mind but I'm
>> excited to work in various interesting topics. So how should I start?
>>
>> I'm also looking up to GSOC 2014 and perhaps do a project for OSGeo. Where
>> should I get the latest news regarding it like the list of projects,
>> mentors etc.?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pulkit Agarwal
>>

> Welcome,
>
> We haven't started a 2014 GSOC page yet on the wiki.osgeo.org but there
> is a mailing list:

Hi Pulkit,

You can also check in with any of the projects that interest you and I
think you will find that most can give you some idea of potential GSoC
Ideas for their projects.

For example pgRouting has:
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/wiki/GSoC-Ideas

Our experience through the years that students the pick projects that
they are interested in or passionate about tend to learn more and have
more fun working on them and are the most successful.

You are not constrained to pick an existing idea. If you have some ideas
bounce them off the project lists and work with them to fine tune your
ideas or come up with other ideas.

There is nothing better than working on a project that excites you.

Best Regards,
   -Steve