[OSGeo-Discuss] Using ArcGIS Desktop with PostGIS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri Jul 11 05:52:43 PDT 2014

I've migrated a forestry client to postgis out of shapefiles and file
based geodatabases. I'm running:

  * Workstation is Ubuntu 14.04 with postgres 9.3.4 and postgis 2.1.3
    (ubuntugis packages)
  * ArcGIS 10.2.2 in a win7 VM
  * Downloaded the Postgres libraries from ESRI. The claims are that it
    only supported as high as postgres 9.2.x (use the 32 bit libraries)
  * QGIS 2.4 (osqeo4w and ubuntugis)

It worked quite well. I connected to postgres through ArcGIS and read
all I needed to out of the database. The kicker is write and I'm not
sure if that will ever happen. I didn't try to import into postgres. I
still don't entirely understand the definition query explanation with
arcgis. That's on the reading list for today.

Same with Spatialite (and I seem to have hit or miss luck with that) -
sometimes ArcGIS reads and sometimes it doesn't. You can import into
spatialite from ArcGIS.

So way back when we would have projects done in Arc/INFO workstation and
the project area would be USGS quad based.

  * Everyone worked in a workspace.
  * lots of discussion and people making sure no one butted heads and
    edited in the same workspace as someone else.
  * End of the project was a weeks worth of consolidation, snapping,
    editing, and joy.

I imagine the same thing happening currently.

  * Postgres is the main data repository
  * data is handed off to arcgis clients in a systematic way.
  * Editing occurs - edits are consolidated back into postgres through
    qgis or some magic scripted button.

And we're partying like it's 1997 but no SDE....but it works. We used
this methodology until 2002 and churned out a ton of good data.

Hope that helps and doesn't repeat anything from below. It still doesn't
get anyone to the magic editing part though.

Randy

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com