[OSGeo-Discuss] Membership fee (was: Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members)

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Tue Jun 24 05:59:08 PDT 2014

María,
good points, thanks. I strongly believe that paying a fee for one type
of membership must not estrange anybody else who wants to participate.
And I don't think that this is in the interest of anybody proposing a
paid scheme.

Trying to gauge the volunteer effect to decide whether somebody is
"worthy" or not takes somebody to actually measure. Who would be this
poor sod? What should she measure and how? Mission impossible and no
fun, so forget it. :-)

I guess the paid membership - if it comes, will just be complimentary
to what we have. Ideally we can somehow carry all Charter Members over
to a paid model, just because it would simplify our process so much.
And maybe this is also a perfectly sound step to more professionalism.
This does not mean that those who do not pay are less professional,
instead they will also profit from a more professional environment.

Having said that, all who use the word "professionalism" have probably
just run out of sound arguments. :-)

Cheers,
Arnulf