[OSGeo-Discuss] High level guidance/info requested

roghellman roghellman at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:20:59 PDT 2014

I have written healthcare software that merges medical records with GPS data.
It is for use in developing countries, where Internet access is less than
dependable.

When the Internet is available, I send the medical data to the cloud, where
I can map disease patterns and scan it for instances of contagious diseases.
Usually in real-time.

The software was designed to work off-line (and it does), but when off-line,
right now, maps are not available to the application.  Clearly I need to
cache tiles for off-line use.

There seem to be a number of options available.  However, the world of
mapping is new to me and my ignorance profound.

The environment I am working in, is Apache, postgres, and PHP.   But I only
have an installer working for Windows.

I've come across tilecache and mapserver.   Are there other that I should
look at?   Any advice would be appreciated.