[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board-fr] Free GIS Day November 6, 2014 OSGéo - IGEAT (ULB) ­ Brussels (Belgium)

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 00:06:20 PDT 2014

Barend,

Thanks for raising the issue. Belgium is indeed a complicated country
[1]. I have two feelings on this:
1) I'm really happy this event is organised in Brussels and I believe
it supports the goals of OSGeo.
2) Rather than having a problem with the fact that the event is only
in French, I think an event called FOSS4G-* or OSGeo-* should give
opportunity to local OSGeo contributors to participate, eg by having a
call for papers/workshops. These type of local events are one of the
few opportunities individuals/companies contributing to OSGeo have to
reach out to (potential) customers.

Feeling 1 is bigger than feeling 2 for me, so I support the name this
time, but I think we should definitely sit together after the event,
to make sure that if a next event  is organised we can do so jointly.

Actually, I think we should form a local Belgian chapter. For me being
part of the Dutch (language) chapter does not make sense that much.
Many/Most of our users/clients are either Bilingual or French. They
are much more likely to attend an event in Brussels than in the
Netherlands/France. And people can still choose to join a language
chapter if they prefer that.

Johan
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceg6NQKHd70