[OSGeo-Discuss] Free GIS Day November 6, 2014 OSGéo - IGEAT (ULB) ­ Brussels (Belgium)

Gert-Jan van der Weijden gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Sat Sep 6 05:52:29 PDT 2014

Johan, Dirk,

Please keep us (the dutch local chapter) informed on yours ideas to form a Belgian ocal chapter.
As you know, we started the dutch local chapter primarily as a language based chapter (thus covering both The Netherlands and the Flemish Region).

I understand the idea to form a Belgian chapter; discussions in the dutch local chapter are often related to national geo-issues (ie the development of the dutch national SDI "PDOK").
On the other hand, the formal, Governmental mapping agencies seem to have difficulties in looking across the Dutch-Flemish border. I think it is a challenge as OSGeo to prove that we can "do geo" accross the border. Either within one organization, or together in two closely related Dutch and Belgian chapters.

After all, we share some history, some 200 years ago ;-)

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Gert-Jan
Chairman of the Dutch local chapter OSGeo.nl