[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Sep 15 09:22:34 PDT 2014

Hi Maxi, All,

You raise an excellent question and the answer varies depending on what
one is looking for. This whole discussion should help understand why
both organizations are complementary and not really competing that much.

Jody and Rob already pointed out some similarities and differences
related to software projects and incubation so I won't touch on that.

In my case, the motivation to get involved with LocationTech is for the
business aspect: I am a citizen of both the software developer community
(with MapServer, GDAL, etc.) and the business community (with Mapgears),
and while OSGeo does a great job for the software community, it is
lacking on the business side and I see hope in what LocationTech is
trying to build.

Why two orgs you'll ask? Can't OSGeo do it all? Can't LocationTech do it
all? I don't think a single organization can address all the needs of
all people. So diversity is good and allows different orgs to have
different and complementary priorities and strengths, and if those orgs
work together on the parts that overlap that will be in the best
interest of the overall community of people, businesses, institutions,
etc who care about free/open source geo software.

So what's different in LocationTech? My opinion is that the main
differences between the two orgs start with their different structure
and history: the members in OSGeo are individuals and the members in
Eclipse/LocationTech are businesses. This leads to setting the
priorities differently and using different approaches to reach the same
goal of supporting open source software. Essentially the result is that
today OSGeo is more community oriented, and LocationTech is more
business-oriented.

Before someone says that I'm over-generalizing, I know that OSGeo has
many businesses revolving around it (including Mapgears, and we're not
going anyway), and LocationTech has project committers reps on its
board, so both are not purely black or white. But the core of each org
is very different, we need to recognize that and work on those strenghts.

BTW, on a side note, 8 years ago I would have said that OSGeo is
software-project-driven, but I seem to have noticed a shift over the
years towards education and community. Not that this is a problem or
that projects are less important than they used to be, but just that the
membership has grown with more community and academic people than
software people, and that resulted in a small shift of priorities. Maybe
it's also that software projects have a bit less needs now that their
basic needs are served, and the next challenges are on the education and
community side? I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all (quite the
contrary), just pointing out that this shift is happening and as part of
the evolution of our organizations (OSGeo, LocationTech and others)
other shifts are to be expected over the coming years.

Back to OSGeo vs LocationTech: both approaches have their pros and cons,
and no one is better than the other, they are complementary and
LocationTech aims to fill a void for businesses that OSGeo could not
address well due to its nature. Having both is a good thing, and if they
can find a way to cooperate efficiently then we all win.

Having two orgs doesn't mean that people or projects need to choose a
camp. I believe projects could incubate under both orgs to reach their
different communities as others pointed out already, but that should not
be a requirement, and it is also perfectly fine for individuals to play
on both fronts as I, Jody and a few others do. For instance in my case
as I wrote already, I am in OSGeo for the software developer network
that it provides me, and in LocationTech for the business network that
it is aiming to build.

For those who still don't see the complementarity between OSGeo and
LocationTech after reading the multiple replies in this thread, think of
the coo-petition between MapServer, GeoServer and Mapnik, or between
OpenLayers and Leaflet. That kind of diversity is good and we treat it
as friendly coo-petition (or most of us do anyway), and it leads to
faster evolution, and many users use all of the above on different days
/ different projects depending on the specific needs/features they are
looking for. Open Source doesn't force you to choose a camp, you just
use the best tool for the task you are working on at a given time. Why
could it not be the same with OSGeo vs LocationTech as coo-peting orgs
addressing different needs?

Daniel

P.S. FWIW, I am not going away from OSGeo, I plan to continue to be
involved in both OSGeo and LocationTech since they both serve different
needs for me.

Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
http://www.mapgears.com/