[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 16 07:38:47 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

To clarify publicly, I have no problem with LocationTech, and in fact I
feel that its foundation plays an important role in our ecosystem.

The issue actually boils down to OSGeo's only event, FOSS4G.  We, as
OSGeo, present this event each year and it is a large part of our annual
revenue.  It is very important to the OSGeo foundation, as it is our
flagship event.

It was made clear to me that LocationTech is not interested in having
their own global event, and that they are in fact interested in our
event, FOSS4G.

So maybe to remove this stress, or "fear", I would prefer to pull back
on the throttle, start with an MoU between the two foundations, and then
begin to share booths at events, or donate booths at each other's
events.  In other words, take baby steps, and build the relationship
slowly, as we do with every other foundation.

I apologize for not bringing this issue to the community sooner.  In
fact this all really came to a head in Portland, and you can see that
now we must deal with this all together.

I always try to represent the entire OSGeo community well, if you feel
that I have made mistakes please share this here with everyone.  I am
here to represent you.

The last few days have been very hard on me.

-jeff
OSGeo President