[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Wed Sep 17 07:33:13 PDT 2014

Bob,

For what it's worth, and it's the same at OSGeo of course, LocationTech
& the Eclipse Foundation want projects to want to join. It's always
optional.

It is unlikely for the foreseeable future that OSGeo would invest in the
specialized staff, infrastructure, and such to do the kind of rigorous
IP review that LocationTech & Eclipse Foundation projects receive. This
isn't a shot against OSGeo, it just is. There are other services &
infrastructure that are similar.

The good news is, so long as an OSGeo project was comfortable doing the
trademark assignment (part of the process), then a project could be dual
listed fairly comfortably. I don't think the benefit that OSGeo gets
from projects is diminished in this case. If this is comfortable to
everyone, I could see LocationTech projects do the same and list at OSGeo.

Andrew