[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Wed Sep 17 11:22:24 PDT 2014

Puneet,
I agree with you, this is an "hot" decision that cannot be taken by a small
group of people without at least have heard about what the *OSGeo community*
think about.

In this tread I have learnt a lot on LocationTech and on motivation that
pushed some OSGeo members to embrace also LocationTech. I can really feel
the desire to help and foster geospatial open source software from those
guys.

BTW, I also believe that FOSS4G is the OSGeo event.

For this reason I believe that if OSGeo want to change things and *share* it
with LocationTech (not just let them organize it in the name of), we need a
deep OSGeo internal discussion at all level: Local Chapters, Charter
members, Committees and finally the Board which has the responsibility to
vote on this.

So, my proposal is:
1) Have a formal proposal from LocationTech which explain terms of
collaboration, commitments and guarantees
2) Publish publicly this proposal for a period (let's say 2 week) for
people to look into this proposal
3) Call for a vote from charter members
4) Call for a letter of position letter from each committee and local
Chapters
5) Publish publicly the results
6) Discuss it on the next board meeting and finally have a vote and a
letter of motivation from the Board

BTW, the FOSS4G-EUROPE website (http://foss4g-e.org/) states clearly at the
home page: "OSGeo's European Conference on Free and Open Source Software
for Geospatial".

I hope this doesn't hurt anyone, and brings positive point of discussion.

It is just my personal thought as a new board member, and sorry if I've
lost some best practice currently in place.

Maxi

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Jeff McKenna <
> jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
>> I am also pondering of suggesting to the Board, later when we get to that
>> point, of possibly querying the Charter Members, in a "referendum" of
>> sorts.  Not sure, I'm just speaking openly here.
>

> Please do. As I gently indicated in an earlier email, all these
> discussions are very new to me, so it is reasonable to assume they are new
> to many other Charter Members around the world as well. Given that  most of
> this thread seems to be driven by FOSS4G, a conf I have little fondness for
> anymore, the conversation sounds very alien to me. Esp. so since it hints
> at changing the nature of OSGeo.
>
> Getting the input of Charter Members worldwide will be noisy and
> difficult, but that is how communities are. Whoever wants to provide an
> input should have a visible and welcome opportunity to do so. Plus, it will
> be a good chance to "use" the Charter Members for something other than just
> voting, for a change ;)
>

> --
> Puneet Kishor

*Massimiliano Cannata*