[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: Hacking OSGeo

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 18:30:05 PDT 2014

IMO

Hi Jeff,

I don't believe that this public 'Mea Culpa' is warranted. You are a
respected member of the community and are entitled to a personal view.

I understood from what I read that your comments were personal. Perhaps
using an 'official OSGeo email address' might make it clear when the email
content is more formal in future.

I'm personally very glad that you chose to speak up as you are echoing the
disquiet that I and I'm sure many others are feeling with regards this
conversation.

@All,

We are at a turning point within our community, and this is no time for
rushing to a particular course of action.

I echo the comments of those such as Steve, Cameron and Jo who are asking
for a bit of respect for all view points and for time to reflect and
consider how we want to move forward as a community.

We have a robust community and can work through the issues if we remember
that others are entitled to their views.

I agree with Massimillo, Puneet and others that this discussion has become
so convoluted that we need to separate out the threads into managable
pieces to work through.

The LocationTech issue is really a surprise to me, particularly that the
conversation has been continuing in private within OSGeo circles for a
number of years. To be honest, the organisation was not even on my radar.
I'm personally not that interested in LocationTech that I want every second
OSGeo email that I read to be about it. Perhaps we can tone down the
advocacy?

I have read some vigorous comments from community members who I respect in
support of LocationTech. What I took out of these comments is that it is
hard trying to run a business that is trying to make money out of Open
Source and that people have already decided that this particular
organisation offers something to them.

Other business operators are tackling the problem in a different way and
are working within the OSGeo-Industry mailing list to discuss the issue in
a constructive manner. I'm seeing some very good leadership there from Dirk
and Peter.

I ran my own consultancy in the past for ~ten years and understand how
difficult entrepreneurial work can be. There were many times when I didn't
know where income to support my next weeks rent and meals was coming from.

We just need to remember in our discussions that OSGeo is more than just
developers, and business. We have a growing number of people from a range
of fields who are working with us, e.g. Government, Not for Profits,
Acadaemia and Research.

In my day job, I'm starting to see interest in a number of peer
organisations around the world to collaboratate within open source
communities to develop the functionality that we require. We may not have
funding to pay businesses to get work done, but we do often have
developers, testers etc. We are just very mindful at this stage that we are
not seen as trying to 'take over' the communities that we are interested in
collaborating with.

As to the comments on FOSS4G, this needs to be handled very carefully.

As a former member of the FOSS4G-2009 LOC, the work in organising such an
event is not as difficult as some are trying to make out. Particularly so
if you have a good team who collaborate and pull their own weight as we
did; you have LOC members who were on previous FOSS4G; and when you have a
good local professional conference organiser who understands your city and
culture with appropriate experience in International events to help you
with the day to day work.

Cameron initiated the FOSS4G 'Lessons Learned' wiki to ensure that
learnings are passed on to future LOC. I suggest making sure that it is
used and updated.

I'd encourage anyone interested in FOSS4G to 'give it a go'. You will find
it a very satisfying professional development exercise.

As the time pressure that people are expressing seems to be on the bid of
FOSS4G-2016, I suggest that we continue with our current processes and
request bids. I'd be happy to see LocationTech put in a bid. I'm also very
happy to see a potential bid from Switzerland for the 10th anniversary. Are
there any other potential bids out there?

Bruce