[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Polling charter members

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Fri Sep 19 00:22:51 PDT 2014

Dear All,
I will try to summarize the discussion points and proposed actions. (Please
correct me, add points or actions i didn't see.)

For all of the point I think we need a clear proposal for change with
motivation, or at least a description of the issues, otherwise we go on
discussing each one with its partial view of the things.

We three topics on the table (maybe in order of time deadlines and in
reverse order of impact on the future of the foundation):

1) *FOSS4G-NA*

Apparently LocationTech is going to organize FOSS4G-NA as co-owner together
with OSGeo (https://2015.foss4g-na.org/).
Here I see two discussion elements:
- Does OSGeo have ownership on FOSS4G event (I think yes, at least morally)
- Does OSGeo as a whole community accept to "share" the FOSS4G event with
another institution? And in this case, based on what decision (why
LocationTech and not another, etc.) and what process?

*ACTION: ?????*

*2) FOSS4G*

It has been argued that to organize better FOSS4G events OSGeo should give
a mandate to a single company specialized in professional event organizer.
I don't know the rationale behind this (maybe expand in number of
participants, being more attractive for industry, be more fashinable?) also
because I was not in Portland.
Nevertheless, some discussion on how to make FOSS4G better is in place (I
have to admit that i don't know if better means with more people or with
more content or whatever) and a need for re-factory came out.

*ACTION: **Cameron volunteer to start a wiki collating options for the
FOSS4G future*

*3) OSGeo objectives*

It seems that the OSGeo goals are no more actual or they do not reflect the
direction of the last years. Someone argue that there is a need to revise
and eventually re-define them.
I don't think it is the case, I just think we need a roadmap (Yes like
projects!) to decide which actions OSGeo is willing to start, how to
achieve the objectives and hopefully conclude successfully.

*ACTION: **Jachym volunteer to set up a survey to understand the Charter
member opinion*

Maxi

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica