[OSGeo-Discuss] forestry at OSGeo

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 07:48:40 PDT 2014

I came from env sciences, but did work in forestry ("hi Steve! its been a
while!) for a couple of years before moving to geosciences and then leaving
it all for policy. But as Steve says, some sciences are just more amenable
to using the more readily available, good quality spatial data such as from
remote sensing. Transportation, oil exploration, conservation,
location-allocation and a few others such would join this bucket.

Actually, discipline-profile of the OSGeo membership would be cool, useless
knowledge to have.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) <
Steve.Lime at state.mn.us> wrote:

> MapServer came out of the University of Minnesota - Department of Forest
> Resources. One big reason was the widespread use of Landsat (and GIS in
> general) for inventory purposes. Forestry, at least in MN, was quick to
> embrace spatial technologies. Landsat in particular was at just the right
> resolution (spatial, radiometric) for that discipline.
>
> Steve

Puneet Kishor
Manager, Science and Data Policy
Creative Commons