[OSGeo-Discuss] On the subject of tilecache

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 25 21:07:03 PDT 2014

On 09/25/2014 06:53 AM, Jo Cook wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> A while ago I reached out to the tilecache mailing list to try and
> understand what's happening with the project. The company that I work for
> has a few minor fixes that we would like to contribute back to the main
> code, and I also noticed that there are some broken links on the website
> (and in the example config) as the metacarta tile server is no longer in
> operation, so beginners are going to find it quite tough to set up. A quick
> look on github suggests a number of people have forked it and are doing
> their own thing, but ideally it would be good to know if the core team are
> still doing any work on it, or have any plans to take it forward. Github's
> great, but it would also be nice to have a canonical version of the package
> that we can all contribute to rather than many versions, all slightly
> different.
>
> As I said, I asked this question on the tilecache mailing list and got no
> answer, so I thought I'd ask here but if anyone wants to chat about it off
> list then please do get in touch.
>
> All the best
>
> Jo

Apparently it's been lurking quietly. There were only 3 people with
commit access to the svn, which has been up all this time, just unknown
since the trac instance was down (spammed to death).

Today I helped Brian resurrect it's public face, website in progress,
but code as it stands is now available on github in anticipation of
merges, pull requests and contributors.
https://github.com/OSGeo/tilecache

To all those with forks, it would be great to bring it all back together
if possible - or at least make it easier to figure out what's different
between the forks.

Thanks,
Alex
OSGeo Sys Admin Committee