[OSGeo-Discuss] Invitation to participate in the OSGeo membership consultations

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 3 09:39:29 PDT 2015

Folks,

For what it's worth, I also do not feel comfortable with completing
the survey as it is currently structured as the structure forces me to
give answers that don't really represent my views.

For what it's worth I am in favor of:
 - a modest number of charter members using something like the current process
 - open membership
 - no manditory membership fees
 - make every effort to treat regular members the same as charter
members except for the minimum voting stuff required to be legally
distinct.

Best regards,
Frank

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the survey has me confused as to how I should respond.
>
> For starters: Should I be taking the survey now or waiting for it to be
> improved?  Where are the results of this survey going?  Does this survey
> count as an official vote(s)?
>
> On 08/03/2015 05:16 AM, Vasile Craciunescu wrote:
>> Dear Bruce, Steve, Even, Peter, Dan and others,
>>
>> Sorry for replying so late. I'm in vacation with limited Internet
>> access. Personally, I agree with many of your points. However, as
>> Steven already pointed out, we had a few days of open discussions on
>> the survey before sending to our Charter members. Somehow I expected
>> that our Charter members are subscribed on the discuss and board
>> mailing list and following the topics there. Perhaps we need a
>> dedicated mailing list for our Charter members or the invitation to
>> comment on the survey should be also sent individually to all our
>> Charter members. Not sure about the right approach. Anyway, please
>> keep in mind that this is the first time we are polling our members
>> and we still have to learn and adjust our communication skills.
>>
>> Now, regarding the survey. The main point was to find the best method
>> to select our Charter members. This is an ongoing discussion for many
>> years. The survey included the previous voting options and some new
>> proposals. Then, some people suggested to use this opportunity to
>> include additionally questions regarding the future of OSGeo
>> membership. That's how the survey was created. The survey is really
>> flawed if is not connected with the discussions on the "board" and
>> "discuss" mailing lists. Different people, different angles, different
>> opinions... But only a fraction of our members expressed their
>> ideas/questions/opinions before assembling the survey. That's why the
>> survey looks heterogeneous. I did my best to merge similar topics and
>> not to include redundant questions. I also did not remove any question
>> based on my own judgement. Anyway, I find this exercise very useful
>> for our community. We should discuss further to keep our organization
>> on the right track.
>>
>> Warm regards from the sunny Black Sea coast!
>> Vasile
>>
>> PS I'm slowly catching up will all the emails on this thread (most of
>> them privately sent). I'll get back when I have the full picture.
>>
>> On 7/31/15 3:07 AM, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
>>> Hi Vassile,
>>>
>>> This survey appears to be flawed.
>>>
>>> I applaud your efforts to bring this issue to a head, but I'm not
>>> convinced
>>> that we'll get valid results from the survey.
>>>

>>> In my case:
>>>
>>> I believe that there should be open membership for any interested,
>>> perhaps
>>> with a membership fee.
>>>
>>> I also see the value of recognising key contributors voted through some
>>> meritocracy process as the current Charter Membership allows, with this
>>> group having a voting responsibility. This is in essence not very
>>> from the concept of a 'committers' group within an open source