[OSGeo-Discuss] How to quantify the economic impact of OSGeo software? Your help needed for a research article

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Jun 2 05:55:07 PDT 2015

Last year I did a very odd software estimate for a client. The short
story is I'm adding Open Source GIS Software to their ESRI Commercial
setup. In one scenario we decided to remove All the commercial software
and go with Open Source. We ended up through multiple phone calls
decided that they would end up using $2500 dollars worth of ArcGISOnline
a year if they wanted to keep that service.

If you multiplied that per 14,000,000 students 9 -12 [1] you have a very
large number which isn't one billion, but when you start playing with
the numbers you can make a software gift be anything.

In one high school at which I volunteer we did a GIS project in
OpenStreetMap. The teacher applied for a grant and received about 25 new
computers because of the project. We loaded them with QGIS and ArcGIS.
ArcGIS was donated by ESRI (500 seats of Arcview at
$whatever_arciew_costs_a_year). QGIS was free. My time to load the
computers was donated.

Two years later the computers are still in good shape BUT they will not
run ArcGISPro which is the new release from ESRI. So I am pushing we
remove all the commercial software and make it all FOSS4G. FOSS4G is
going to allow us to leverage the existing computers for a very long
time. That is a larger fight of GIS Curriculum in a High School (there
isn't an official one) and my time (I work for myself) and the ability
to make that happen. 99% of the teachers in that school system do not
know nor care what GIS is or does. When you start talking "this will
save you equipment/hardware/software" costs you gain their attention
quickly though.

Of course none of that has been written up because I've never had a
reason to write it up - it's just a local problem with which I wrestle.

Good Luck - I hope that helps some.

Randy

[1] http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372

Randal Hale