[OSGeo-Discuss] How to quantify the economic impact of OSGeo software? Your help needed for a research article

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Jun 2 08:25:47 PDT 2015

Yes, but $1000 looks much better as a press release :-)

Doug

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Suchith Anand <
> Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> For example, reading through
>> http://news.aag.org/2015/05/aag-seeks-proposal-authors-reviewers-for-new-ap-course-in-gist/
>> i understand that  "In 2014, Esri announced a $1 billion gift of
>> cloud-based ArcGIS Online software to support the Obama Administration’s
>> ConnectEd initiative. This remarkable gift is providing free ArcGIS Online
>> accounts to any public or private school upon request. " I am interested to
>> understand how this $1 billion gift is calculated?  Can anyone
>> knowledgeable on this provide the details of these metrics use for this
>> calculation?
>>

> I don't know about their calculation but here is mine:
>
> If I provide service for $100 per customer and I give the same service to
> 10 customers for free, I could claim that I donated $1000. But this would
> be wrong. I need some money to run the service for the non-paying customers
> and I need to get this money from the paying customers. Thus, the price
> $100 already contains money to run the service for non-paying customers and
> the gift $1000 is therefore overestimated.
>
> Well, these are my two cents. Correct if I'm wrong.

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.