[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct in Real Case

Pedro-Juan Ferrer Matoses pferrer at osgeo.org
Wed Jun 24 05:11:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Charles Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu> wrote:
> By asking Jeff about it offline, I was raising the question that those
> slides could turn some women off who are considering attending and I think
> those kinds of signals are moving the community the wrong direction, and
> that perhaps the author should consider this. I raised this because I have
> been in conferences where I've witnessed women being offended by things
> happening on stage and I think as a community we want to be sensitive to
> this since we are hopeful for more women to become engaged in FOSS4G.
>
> From my eye going through the slides, I didn't understand (and still don't)
> why zoom in on the Dali image needed to be on the slideshow. After a more
> careful examination -- that other viewers won't likely do -- I see that the
> first slide is an enlargement of part of that painting and then a second
> picture of it hanging in some building, under the group heading of 'Seoul is
> far away.' I still don't get why the enlargement is needed... but perhaps
> that is just me. But I think I am still right -- some women might be turned
> off to the conference by that zoom-in.

Sorry for being to much direct on this.

A man, thinking as a man, thinking on what a woman, thinking as a
woman, could-possibly-may-be-in-some-case found something offensive.

May be I'm also a Wester-Europen-Liberal-Minded (as Gert-Jan stated)
but I don't get the point of someone in Massachusetts «patrolling» the
thoughts of other woman, and we're not even discussing here a cultural
difference, just a genre difference.

Sorry, again, but I don't get it.

--
Pedro-Juan Ferrer Matoses