[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Code of Conduct in Real Case

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 24 05:35:43 PDT 2015

Le mercredi 24 juin 2015 13:29:43, Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting
OSGeo.nl a écrit :
> In my opinion as well there is not a problem, especially since both
> pictures are used within a certain context. However, I realize I'm looking
> through a Western-european, liberal cultural perspective.
>
> Perhaps someone from for instance the Senegal local OSGeo chapter can
> comment on this from a different cultural point of view?

This is tricky. I'm afraid that If you take the lowest common denominator of
all cultures of the world, you will be able to do little (what is polite in a
culture might be rude in another one, and vice versa). I think that people
going to a foreign country should be ready to face things that might not be
accepted in their own country/culture and deal with it. The only clear red
line is that you can never force someone from doing something he doesn't want
to.

There can also have "marketing" considerations into account. If one wants to
target an audience from a certain culture, then adjusting your way of behaving
to it might be a good choice (but might deter others...)

That said, I'm a bit like Pedro-Juan when looking at the slides. Not shoked,
but wondering "why this painting ? (is it exhibited in Seoul?), why this group
of women ?" when seeing them, because not familiar enough with Seoul/South
Korea

Looking further in the slides I can also see pictures of beverages, some of
them I suspect might contain alcohool. I guess that could make some people
unconfortable too...

In the code of conduct, it is mentionned "assume good intentions", so I'd say
let's do it for the LOC and let them do their job in peace.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com