[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct in Real Case

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Wed Jun 24 09:46:36 PDT 2015

Ah! Anecdotes! Let me provide one from my personal experience that’s more relevant. A female friend of mine attending a school *was* offended by the gratuitous insertion of nude pictures in a slide presentation in one of her classes. That school was soon thereafter subjected to an investigation for sexual harassment by the Office of Civil Rights of the US Department of Education, followed by a resolution agreement.

Anecdotal cases aside, in the West these sorts of things are generally known to be offensive to many, many women in the wrong context. The right context would certainly include art museums and art classes. But at a GIS conference? Generally speaking, I think potentially offensive items must not only be germane but necessary, and if they aren’t presenters should consider alternatives, especially if they are presenting on behalf of a larger organization.

So while the Dali portrait may be germane, I don’t see it as in any way necessary. Sanghee writes “I just used that image to stress the importance of long distance from the object or sometimes from the too experienced ordinary culture.” But there are many, many other images that could be used instead to emphasize the same thing; they’re all over the place (see, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XElUS201fM8 or https://www.vat19.com/item/abraham-lincoln-penny-portrait — you could even make your own, with a geographic basis).

Regarding the girl-group picture, Sanghee writes “I believe as symbolic icon of wide spread of Korean culture(K-Culture) in/around Asia” — again possibly germane to this point, and perhaps by far the best representation and therefore necessary, but I have never heard of them and the point would be lost on me. A photo of a bowl of kimchi would be more effective in my case :-)

At the very least, I agree with Pedro-Juan Ferrer Matoses when he writes “May be a less-dependant-on-someone-explaining-presentation is more suitable for being in the landing page of the Conference.” Looks like it was a presentation for the 2014 meeting in Bangkok, where I assume the context was verbalized, but the Web is a different medium. On general principles of effectiveness, I’d recommend putting the context directly into the slides. Otherwise their inclusion does seem gratuitous.

— Andy