[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct in Real Case

Pat Tressel ptressel at myuw.net
Thu Jun 25 01:18:34 PDT 2015

Peter --

I'm trying to improve the presentation.  Ok?  Thanks.

> The conversation has gone on to the question of diversity in STEM fields,
> but if I can return to the original presentation for a moment...
>
> Perhaps we could look at it from a different perspective, namely, that of
> marketing and branding.  Is this an effective advertisement?  Does it
> accomplish the intended purpose?  (Full disclosure:  I'm not a
> professional, though I have worked for an advertising placement company.  I
> am, however, very much a fan of good advertising and follow industry news.)
>
> Let's say we don't know what the purpose is.  What can we extract from the
> presentation itself?  The majority of the presentation is selling "other
> reasons" to attend FOSS4G 2015 besides the content of the conference
> itself.  A significant portion advertises travel to Seoul, and includes
> traditional travel themes -- culture, entertainment, food, sights.  Another
> has the feeling of a business development promotion.  Another portion
> emphasizes interaction with other attendees, and especially fun interaction.
>
> What can we infer about the intended audience?  With the exception of the
> three elements discussed in this thread, the presentation appears neutral.
> The Dali image, Girls' Generation, and multiple images of alcoholic
> beverages are elements that would appear intended to appeal to a specific
> demographic, unmarried men below middle-age.
>

> no, plainly wrong.

?  Proof?

>  (Girls Generation is a group assembled by SM Entertainment, whose
> founder says the group is intended to appeal to men aged 30-40.
>

> this is not something to generalize to art and beer (combination
> tentative).

There was no generalization.  This statement is a fact.  A web search will
turn up the quote.

>  However, they now have a significant female fan base in Japan.)
>

> so statement above proven wrong.

No.  Statement of intended audience is simply a fact.  That was the goal of
assembling the group.  The reason they have a fan base of young girls in
Japan is problematic and to some, disturbing:  This may be the limit of
what these girls aspire to, because it is an occupation allowed to women.

> [...]
> presentation?  For instance, as others have noted, the meaning of the Dali
> image sequence is obscure -- it does not work without explanation.  To make
> it work without a verbal pitch, ask, for each section, does the lead-in
> slide adequately establish what is being promoted in that section?  And for
> each slide, ask, does this need a better caption?
>
> Given that this is promoting attendance based on things that are not part
> of the conference itself, it would be good to make that explicit right in
> the first slide.  If it's intended to also promote the conference program,
> that might work better as a separate presentation, rather than trying to
> glue it onto this one.
>
> If the three elements in question would be off-putting to some potential
> attendees, it would be easy to replace at least the Dali image and the beer
> images.  Note in a professional advertising campaign, the question would
> not be, can we get away with this? but rather, is it possible that this
> will turn away potential customers in our intended demographic, or could
> this in any way diminish our brand or cause a negative reaction?  So *if*
> the question of offense comes up at all, then that would trigger fixing
> that part of the advertisement.
>
> I gather the point of the Dali sequence is to say that something can
> appear as one thing from afar, and otherwise close up.  Perhaps use a photo
> mosaic image instead?  (These are images constructed of many small
> images.)  The beer images are jarring not so much because they feature
> alcohol, but because there are so many of them -- they are out of
> proportion to any other type of image.  I'd recommend dropping slides 37-41
> and keeping only 42 (which is a better image than 41).  Similarly, for the
> food images (the second longest sequence), instead of multiple slides, tile
> them into one slide.
>

> see my recent post about Beckmesser.
>

> The Girls Generation picture is more problematic, because they are a
> legitimate and popular group.  Two things were jarring to me.  First, that
> was the *only* "culture" image.  There are other aspects to Seoul culture
> besides K-pop.  A montage of several images showing a range of cultural
> aspects would de-emphasize the "sex" aspect.  Second, with the exception of
> the Dali image, the appearance of a "sexy" image was unexpected.  Note that
> part of the problem is that not many people outside of Asia will recognize
> Girls Generation -- they will just see young women in provocative dress and
> poses.  (For contrast, ~everyone on the planet would recognize Psy.)
>
> Finally, please don't be offended, but, it would also be good to get
> advice from a graphic designer, and also have someone proofread the text.
>

> diversity - can we accept that non-English-natives have typos on their
> slides?
>
> Let me suggest to establish an OSGeo Committee of Censorship (CoC) to

There's no "censorship" whatsoever in evaluating this from an advertising
point of view and suggesting ways to improve the presentation.  Most folks
I know want to know if they have grammatical errors in their slides.  I
believe I offered the suggestions in a polite manner.  Why not let Sanghee
decide if any are useful?

-- Pat