[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of having Open Principles in Education for our future generations

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sat Jun 27 14:59:06 PDT 2015

(Note extended "quote tail" omitted from this post--remember, folks, we have archives![1])

Randal Hale Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:17:54 -0400[2]
> Ms Keith (on this list as of last night and cc'd) has a lab but it is quickly going out of date with regards to proprietary software. My wish has been to replace everything with QGIS - GIS is GIS.

And OS[3] are OS, so maximize the utility of the

> "older computers" at schools [being used] for learning

and slap a Linux on them. The OSGeo wiki points to some bundles, including (e.g.) DebianGIS[4], Enterprise Linux GIS[5], and UbuntuGIS[6] (of which, IIUC, the latter is the most active).

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/
[2]: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-June/014403.html
[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system