[OSGeo-Discuss] Fun Event in Victoria with mix of OSGeo/LocationTech projects

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Fri Nov 13 01:54:22 PST 2015

The collaboration seems to me that OSGeo his a member of LocationTech and
that a liason officier has been appointed.

There has not been defined any obligation, common goals, actions or
objective that are the basis for a collaboration.
So in my opinion a MoU is a pre-requisite for a first step into
collaboration.

Maxi

> I am glad this thread is encouraging communication.
>
> As stated at the start I would like to do a better job of communication on
> this one. I guess I can start by saying the two organizations have a much
> stronger relationship than a Memorandum of Understanding. A MoU is often
> the first stage of a formal contract, in this case the formal relationship
> has been realized.
>
> See http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2012-10-11
>
> The result of this is that OSGeo is a member of LocationTech (see the list
> of members here <https://www.locationtech.org/members>). And has provided
> a representative to the steering committee meetings and speak on behalf of
> OSGeo.
>
> (Is this kind of background useful - I feel I am being painfully
> obvious/annoying on this one)
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 12 November 2015 at 11:01, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have not done the best at communicating lately, here is a write up from
>> a fun event held last month in victoria -
>> http://www.how2map.com/2015/10/locationtech-tour-2015.html
>>
>> A really positive mix of OSGeo and LocationTech projects. In many cases
>> this event was the first introduction to open source for those attending -
>> making this an excellent outreach opportunity.
>>
>> I have gotten a number of private emails expressing concerns about
>> LocationTech being involved in several of the foss4g bids. I guess I had
>> the opposite concern last year when there was the joint OSGeo /
>> LocationTech foss4gna conference. I was kind of embarrassed our behavior as
>> a community - would prefer to see us as welcoming and supportive
>> (especially as we had a first time organizer that could use our support).
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica