[OSGeo-Discuss] Renaming FOSS4G

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Oct 6 08:23:39 PDT 2015

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I will bring some fuel -
diesel in honor of the largest car manufacturing plant near me (Volkswagen)

It would strengthen the brand of OSGEO with a conference named the same.
There seems to be a fairly large disconnect right now with the FOSS4GNA
conference and OSGEO. That needs to be much tighter.

Although I'm a bit of a stickler with Free and Open Source - I like the
idea of going OS*Geo - *because that's what I do (at least in my case) -
I use GIS and I do it with free and open source tools.

+11 on having to explain foss4g and then dragging osgeo into it.

Lets go one step further and talk to the Geo4all folks into saying
osgeo4all.

Randy

On 10/06/2015 11:12 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> Okay, this is probably sticking a match under a pile of dry wood but
> here goes...
>
> Can we rename The FOSS4G Conference to The OSGeo Conference?
>
> Cons:
>
>   1. FOSS4G is an established brand
>
>   2. FOSS4G sidesteps the "Free" vs "Open Source" argument by including both.
>
> Counters to those:
>
>   1. Really? Perhaps amongst OSGeo people, but outside our sphere I
> have to expand the acronym and then go on to mention OSGeo.
>
>   2. Let's have that argument somewhere else, okay?
>
> Pros:
>
>   1. Puts the *Geo* visible, not tucked away as a G at the end.
>
>   2. Gets rid of the "4G", which may have been a cool thing 2 do ten
> years ago, but not now :)
>
>   3. Removes any confusion with 4G telecoms networks.
>
>   4. Clearly brands the conference as an OSGeo conference. Recent
> discussion about the prominence and significance of OSGeo to FOSS4G
> becomes moot.
>
>   5. Is easy to explain. The OSGeo Conference is the open source
> geospatial conference. See the OSGeo web site. Search for OSGeo. One
> acronym to remember.
>
> [I toyed with the idea that the conference should be called "OSGeo
> Live!" and renaming the OSGeo Live operating system disc as "OSGeoOS"
> but that might be a bit too much :)]
>
> So, this is the discuss list, discuss.
>
> Barry

Randal Hale