[OSGeo-Discuss] Renaming FOSS4G

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Tue Oct 13 01:07:45 PDT 2015

+1

OSGeo is The organisation to support the collaborative development of
open source geospatial software, and promote its widespread use. [1]

To promote its widespread use OSGeo started, amongst other things, to
organise a yearly conference. Today, there is the global conference, and
a lot of local conferences, almost every month, somewhere in the world.

FOSS4G is the name of The OSGeo Conference.
FOSS4G is an *important* brand of OSGeo.
Local conferences have derived names like FOSS4G Europe, FOSS4G North
America, FOSS4G.be, FOSSGIS ...

My 2c

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/about

On 13-10-15 09:48, Hans Gregers Petersen wrote:
> Hi Jeff, all,
>
>> Thanks Mori-san, I fully agree with you, there is no need to rename anything.  Instead, there is lots to do to continue promoting OSGeo and FOSS4G :)
>
> I might have another perspective - seen from the (at least the Danish)
> commercial side of things. When attending a conference, the value
> would often be assessed by looking at the name of the conference.
>
> Let us for instance say that the big fictive geospatial company,
> "FTSJ", hosts an "FTSJ conference". You would attend if you are a
> client of FTSJ.  Let us then say that FTSJ only has a byline in the:
> "'The Fabulous Geo Conference' *cough cough* brought to you by FTSJ".
> Then FTSJ is not the subject of the conference, but the host. People
> using the competing products of InfoMap or even the free and open
> alternative Minor GIS would be more likely to attend. Because it is
> not an FTSJ-conference, it is a fabulous conference on geo!
>
> I think that to (at least Danish) executives, and especially in public
> admin, FOSS4G sounds better than the "annual conference of some
> organization that I am not even a member of".
> No one is in doubt that it is an OSGeo hosted conference, and even if
> they were - only the blind and deaf would not see or hear that it is
> during the conference itself.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg

Yours sincerely,