[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Oct 17 03:10:49 PDT 2015

On 17 October 2015 at 10:22, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> Given the number of OSGeo projects that are moving their code outside
> of OSGeo infrastructure, Mateusz Loskot on IRC suggested to include
> guidelines about what is or ins't accepted as a code repository
> hosting for OSGeo projects.

To clraify, the suggestion was inspired by this article and
what Eclise Foundation proposed in their FAQ:
http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2013/06/20/eclipse-github/

Typical incubation questionnaire asks something like this:

"If you do not intend to host any portion of this project using the OSGeo
infrastructure, why should you be considered a member project..."

So, perhaps it would be better to clarify hosting
freedoms/requirements in advance.

> Of course the ethical criteria is orthogonal to the strategic
> arguments about having code hosted on or off OSGeo infrastructure.

Also, as the latest discussion about GitHub revealed, there is number of
practical features that make hosting alternatives more attractive.

Finally, with Sandro, we brainstormed idea of surveing the Community
about their hosting needs/preferences.
Sandro, Martin, Alex, have been putting efforts into setting up Git,
improving Trac, and overall improvements.
Those efforts might be wasted, in case projects will move to GitHub.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net