[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sun Oct 18 03:18:37 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 09:07:52AM +0200, Andreas Hocevar wrote:

> please keep an alternative in mind: pay for an OSGeo Github account for
> projects that want to use Git. Will burn some money, but won't burn out
> volunteers who have to keep OSGeo's own infrastructure up and running. See
> https://github.com/locationtech as an example.

Please keep another alternative in mind: pay OSGeo system administrators.

Will burn some money, but won't burn out volunteers who have to keep
OSGeo's own infrastructure up and running.

Even if I understand that the cost for OSGeo sysadmins might be higher
than the cost for a GitHub account, I can also see that the money
spent on SAC might result in indirect benefit for free software tools
(I'm sure SAC people do file tickets for the tools they use) while
those spent on GitHub could only result in benefit for the proprietary
software used to run that service.

--strk;