[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Andreas Hocevar andreas.hocevar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 12:37:50 PDT 2015

> On 18 Oct 2015, at 12:34, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It is true that GitHub is not Free Software, so IMO we should not be depending on it. I see the ethical issues that arise from using a non Free provider and it is not the only case in our ecosystem eg. Transifex used to be Free Software and it is not anymore:

This is quite an inaccurate statement, and a different story too. You could still go to https://github.com/transifex/transifex, clone the repo, set up a Transifex instance on your server, or even continue developing it. It's GPL licensed after all.

But that's not my point. My point is:

git is free and open source. GitHub "just" adds (tons of) convenience on top of it. Github going away is just as (un)likely as OSGeo going away. If that happens, with git being a distributed versioning system, developers will still be able to push their local clones to some other infrastructure. Doing so is a matter of 1 minute.

Andreas.