[OSGeo-Discuss] Orientation standard

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Tue Oct 20 07:09:38 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-20 15:41, Munich Orientation Convention wrote:

> Hello Scott,
>

> I like your questions.
>

> The most important is that the experts agree that r100 is a good and consumer
> friendly Convention, at least for fast orientation purposes and as an
> alternative to open squared systems or simply “here”. The specifications for
> this piece of a polar system could be:
>

> 1 – Name:
>
> r100
>

> 2 - identification letter:
>
> “r” as radius,
>
> lower case.
>

> 3 - value:
>
> 100,
>
> which represents 100 “blocks of houses”, 100 x 100 meters or 100 x 100 yards.
>

> 4 - color:
>
> red.
>

> 5 - conversion from lat/lon
>
> acc. known geodetic algorithms.
>

> 6 - definition of urban pole:
>
> according list …,
>
> actually only on www.volksnav.de/mapplet <http://www.volksnav.de/mapplet>.
>

> The definition of these relevant urban poles is a result of many years of hard
> work and I claim intellectual property. Here the question could arise: “do you
> prefer open or  optimal polar systems?”.
>
> Does anybody know if the transition point NS/EW for post codes in London (a
> strange mix polar/squared system ) is a relevant point? Please confirm: it’s
> not.
>

> ----
>

> The proposed specification didn’t come from members but could come active from
> OGC side. Where there is a will, there is a way: is there the possibility to
> create a premium standard for premium members? This would surely increase the
> number of members.

I like your modesty.
-Peter

> Henrique
>

> P. S.:  Openwashing:
> http://opensource.com/business/14/12/openwashing-more-prevalent

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)