[OSGeo-Discuss] are3na catalog requires software publisher statement

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Fri Sep 4 01:08:05 PDT 2015

Thank you Paul, for your mail.
I also think this is a great opportunity!

If we want to make OSGeo a strong brand, maybe we should consider to use
OSGeo.org (or even better OSGeo.eu) to use as publisher.

As an alternative, if the project has a foundation, we could use that as
the publisher.
As the catalog is quite a reference in Europe, we should consider to add
an OSGeo project which links to all the published OSGeo projects, if
this is possible. On this 'overview project' we probably can mention the
OSGeo-live project.

just my 2c
Dirk

On 03-09-15 20:01, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Paul van Genuchten
> <paul.vangenuchten at geocat.net> wrote:
>> Hi list, i'm sending you this mail related to a question i was discussing,
>> which might be relevant to other osgeo.org communities.
>> I checked how other OSGEO projects managed this in that catalog. deegree
>> seems to be added by IDGis, QGIS by faunalia. I liked however the way Grass
>> has managed this, they registered an organisation "GRASS Development Team"
>> and assigned that as publisher (and claimed it to be a "Academia/Scientific
>> organisation").
>
> Yes, I registered and manage the GRASS GIS entry at
> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/26854
>
> A few other GRASS PSC members have access, too (for the "bus factor").
>
>> I'm interested to hear your thoughts about this matter. And also would urge
>> all communities to register their projects (openlayers, geoserver,
>> mapserver, geomajas), since the catalog is quite a reference in Europe.
>
> Yes, please do that. Be more OSGeo brand there!
>
> Markus

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO