[OSGeo-Discuss] The FOSS4G 2016 complete program is out!

Marc VLOEMANS marcvloemans1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 06:40:58 PDT 2016

The FOSS4G 2016 complete program is out!

The LOC  is proud to present the full schedule of our annual gathering of
the tribes! The Program Committee 2016 has put together the best program
with 180 awesome talks, chosen with your active help. Doing the impossible
is not an easy task, so bear with us as small changes may still occur. (In
case you wonder; how so ‘impossible’? Well, the pleasing everyone kind!)

FOSS4G2016 features the usual subjects, e.g. web mapping development
community projects (e.g. GeoServer, MapServer, GRASS, PostGIS etc.) through
workshops, code sprints and presentations.

However, FOSS4G2016 intends to build bridges towards communities with
interests and work adjacent to and overlapping with ours. Thus, we have
chosen 4 key themes: Land Information, Open Data, Disaster Management and
Earth Observation. As a result, the program is built to offer a tight link
between talks and tracks.

FOSS4G2016 will present 7 keynote speakers, geospatial gurus sharing their
knowledge and experience. A quick look at our list of keynotes, will
convince you that we have been true to our word, building bridges to take
us all the way across communities and back.

For example, we will listen to *A*ndreas Veispak (Head of Unit for Space
Data for Societal Challenges and Growth at the European Commission) Klaus
Deininger (Lead Economist at the Development Research Group of the World
Bank) investigating how advances in Earth Observation, computing power and
connectivity could help reduce poverty. Internationally recognised expert
Ton Zijlstra will initiate us in the complex world of open data and its
many implications for us.

This year, we introduce a new opportunity for attendee interaction; the
‘topic talk’. During conference days, a dedicated Lab will be the
place-to-be to foster new ideas and encourage discussions around subjects.

For example, (for newcomers) the relationship between open source and open
standards, gently lead by Athina Trakas and Ingo Simonis from OGC. How to
best couple land information and open source facilitated by Arnulf Christl
(Metaspatial) and John Gitau (UN-Habitat - United Nations Human Settlements
Programme). Markus Neteler (Mundialis) and Christian Strobl (German
Aerospace Centre, DLR) will tackle how open source and open data translates
into the Copernicus Program.

Even more in tune with the spirit of our community, we have prepared the
Speakers' Corner. Here, any FOSS4G participant is the absolute owner of 5
full minutes to share a project, to float an idea, to start a discussion or
engage otherwise with the audience. Of course, for informal lengthy talks
the BoF is the place to go. Just pick a theme.

These are just glimpses of what FOSS4G 2016 has in store for you.

We kindly invite you to check the program and to map your own FOSS4G 2016
journey: [http://foss4g2016.org/programme.html]

We hope to meet you in Bonn!

LOC FOSS4G 2016