[OSGeo-Discuss] [Incubator] Should OSGeo accept "benevolent dictator" projects into OSGeo?

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Sun May 1 12:50:58 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is kind of a larger topic than just the incubation committee, but no
> I do not believe we should. It is a defining characteristic of our
> foundation to not place many restrictions on our projects - but demand that
> the projects be inclusive and open to collaboration.
>
> I do not believe that the "benevolent dictator" fits this ideal.
>
> I also do not think we need to stress the PSC approach as the one true
> way, smaller projects that only wish to have committers vote on decisions
> (rather than form a PSC) is perfectly acceptable - provided there is a
> provision for new committers to be added into the mix.

I agree with Jody that demanding a PSC for projects to be in incubation is
not a good idea.

If a PSC is required to join OSGeo. It must propose how a right PSC should
work.  Otherwise any project can form a PSC on whatever criteria, one being
the "dictator" way.

Project can decide weather to have PSC or not. If they have it must be
validated by OSGeo during incubation process. I hope having a checklist to
validate working PSC and how it should work can filter projects with
"benevolent dictator".

Regards,
   Rashad