[OSGeo-Discuss] Inputs invited for "The need for National level strategy for Open Principles in Geospatial"

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue May 31 04:07:18 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Jonathan Moules
<jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:
> Hi Suchith,
>

> "1. How much (roughly) is the UK government (central/local government etc)
> spending in buying properitery GIS licences for the last 10 years
> (2005-2015)? Is there any plans for on savings target for the next 10 years
> ?"

> Otherwise I guess it'd be trawling through:
> https://data.gov.uk/data/openspending-report/index (maybe get a student to
> do some scraping?)
>
> Local government is harder without asking each authority individually and/or
> finding their pages then scraping them. Open Data doesn't mean Easy Data.

OpenSpending has some nice interfaces to government spending
worldwide, and you can obviously put in the name of your favourite
proprietary GIS company to see what, for example, London spent on
them:

https://openspending.org/gb-local-gla/entries?q=esri

The entire "Software Maintenance" section for London is downloadable:

https://openspending.org/gb-local-gla/expenditure-account/536510/entries#expenditure-account:536510

Barry