[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: Reminder - Call for abstracts XVI Biennial IASC-Conference (Utrecht, July 2017) - deadline abstracts 15 October 2016

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Oct 5 06:15:41 PDT 2016

GeoForAll and OSGeo colleagues (especially European colleagues),

See the below for an announcement of a "call for abstracts" for July 2017's
International Association for the Study of the Commons conference to be
held in Utrecht, The Netherlands. I've mentioned this before, but I thought
I'd raise it again because abstract submissions are due on October 15th. My
hope via this email is that we can build a "track" of papers for this
conference around open source Geospatial software and education.

I'd like to remind you that what we are doing in OSGeo and GeoForAll are
building software and education "commons." Free/Libre and Open Source
software are a form of internet-based "Common Property Regimes" [1].

The International Association for the Study of the Commons (IASC), is a
well-established scholarly association where most (but not all) people
focus on natural resource commons (fisheries, water resources, forests, the
atmosphere). But may in this conference (1) would be quite interested in
learning about open source GIS for possible use in their natural
resource-related studies (and many participants come from developing world
contexts where open source may be readily adopted). But I and others are
trying to build a "track" in IASC about software and other digital
"commons" such as databases in a general area we call "Knowledge Commons"
(see the video we created here for more on that [2]).

If anyone thinks they might be interested in trying to join in and submit
something coordinated for this conference, let me know, and tell me what
your topic might be. It would be nice to at least have a panel session of
OSGeo-GeoForAll topics and I'd be happy to coordinate this. I'm also hoping
we can have at least one pre-conference workshop on some OSGeo software
product. Probably something for more "beginner" GIS people, but not
necessarily. Again, contact me if you have ideas and interest in doing
something.

I think connecting to IASC could help us in our continued expansion of both
OSGeo and GeoForAll.

Thanks,

Charlie Schweik

[1] I am *honestly* not trying to self-promote here, but I've written about
this connection in papers like this one:
https://www.thecommonsjournal.org/articles/10.18352/ijc.397/

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3N9Gb3bKzQ