[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo and Open Data?

Benoit Fournier ben.fournier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 00:34:03 PDT 2016

Maria, all,

I would slightly disagree here, because I think all data can be of
various degrees of quality and freshness.
Maria, I can re-read your entire message with '(any) data' instead if
'open data' and it makes much more sense to me.
Commercial data, paid data, authoritative data, open data, VGI data:
you always need to assess if they are fit for (your) purpose.
Your proposal "Methods and FOSS tools for assessing open data quality"
could convey the false message that only open data needs checking and
has inherent flaws.

On a side note, in the definition aspect, I would take care of splitting:
- 'good' open data: data released by producer, that anyone can read or
re-use (for transparency, accountability and public participation,
support technological innovation and economic growth, new kinds of
digital applications and services, ...)
- 'bad' open data: labelled 'open data' by the producer, but lacking
in: poor format (not structured, proprietary ...), poor quality (data,
metadata, up-to-date, completeness ...), poor access (not searchable,
not documented, fee, ...) ...
- 'more than' open data: people can read AND write, re-use AND
contribute, assess AND improve; this is more free/libre. This is
OpenStreetMap for generic geodata, other VGI for thematic data ...

Best regards.

Benoît