[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Not graduated OSGeo project...

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:53:32 PDT 2016

Hi Maxi,

I'm not sure our software incubation checklist is the correct criteria
to apply to "OSGeo Outreach Projects".

--

The education committee is a huge success story of OSGeo, attracting
educators from around the world who are promoting Open Source to future

OSGeo-Live likewise has hundreds of contributors, provides a easy way
for new users to find out about Open Source projects, and maintains a
high level of quality. It should be promoted. Note, we have considered
taking OSGeo-Live through graduation. Checklist here:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Incubation_Graduation_Checklist

One concern I have is that OSGeo-Live includes more projects than just
those incubated. A casual observer would naturally deduce that if
OSGeo-Live has reached incubation quality, then all included packages
should have also reached such quality. This assumption is incorrect and
should not be promoted by OSGeo, and is a reason for OSGeo-Live not to
be officially recognised as an OSGeo incubated project.

--
The OSGeo Data Committee is a great idea, but has lost impetus. This
might be a candidate for dropping from the home page. Possibly we should

Warm regards, Cameron

On 21/10/2016 12:20 AM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
> dear Board,
> in the OSGeo landing page (www.osgeo.org <http://www.osgeo.org>) in
> the "OSGeo projects" frame are listed the so called "Outreach Projects".
>
> To my understanding and knowledge these listed projects (Public
> Geospatial Data, Education and Curriculum, OSGeo Live) have not been
> nor incubated nor graduated.
>
> I'm therefore asking for clarification, and in the case my
> understanding is correct, to immediately remove these projects from
> the landing page.
>
> Two of them are actually committee, at the same level of the other
> OSGeo committee, that in my opinion should be equally promoted and
> listed togheter.
>
> Best,
> Maxi
>

> --
> *Massimiliano Cannata*
>
> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>
> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>

> Istituto scienze della Terra
>
> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>
> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>
> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>
> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14
>
> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09
>
> massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch <mailto:massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch>