[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Not graduated OSGeo project...

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 02:41:56 PDT 2016

Hi all,

On 10/20/2016 10:53 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> OSGeo-Live likewise has hundreds of contributors, provides a easy way
> for new users to find out about Open Source projects, and maintains a
> high level of quality. It should be promoted. Note, we have considered
> taking OSGeo-Live through graduation. Checklist here:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Incubation_Graduation_Checklist

I think it is time for us to push the incubation process and address any
concerns there might be about OSGeo-Live through that process.

> One concern I have is that OSGeo-Live includes more projects than just
> those incubated. A casual observer would naturally deduce that if
> OSGeo-Live has reached incubation quality, then all included packages
> should have also reached such quality. This assumption is incorrect
> and should not be promoted by OSGeo, and is a reason for OSGeo-Live
> not to be officially recognised as an OSGeo incubated project.

This assumption is definitely incorrect and should be fully addressed in
the OSGeo-Live documentation.
We have always given priority to graduated and incubating projects (one
exception comes to mind due to huge installation size requirements) and
we have tried to be as inclusive as possible, since many new projects
think that OSGeo-Live is an excellent way of promoting their work and
reach out to the community through this "product".
In the process of creating/building the OSGeo-Live, we sometimes find
interesting/helpful pieces of software to include or even sometimes
complete projects that are de-facto accepted from the community as
quality projects. We should continue to include them, even if they are
not fully graduated from OSGeo. We should also encourage those projects
to join OSGeo Community Projects (formerly Labs), but sometimes those
projects are not always interested in joining OSGeo (We should consider
why they are not interested, and what is that we offer to new projects -
this is a big discussion and we need to take it up at some point).

Another point is that OSGeo-Live tends (not there yet) to be a proper
GNU/Linux distribution, including not just geospatial software. We would
never expect all included software (e.g. Linux kernel, GNU, Debian,
Ubuntu, Xorg, LXDE etc) to be somehow officially linked to OSGeo :)

Best,
Angelos

> --
> The OSGeo Data Committee is a great idea, but has lost impetus. This
> might be a candidate for dropping from the home page. Possibly we
> should be pointing people to Open Street Map or similar.
>
> Warm regards, Cameron
>
> On 21/10/2016 12:20 AM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
>> dear Board,
>> in the OSGeo landing page (www.osgeo.org <http://www.osgeo.org>) in
>> the "OSGeo projects" frame are listed the so called "Outreach Projects".
>>
>> To my understanding and knowledge these listed projects (Public
>> Geospatial Data, Education and Curriculum, OSGeo Live) have not been
>> nor incubated nor graduated.
>>
>> I'm therefore asking for clarification, and in the case my
>> understanding is correct, to immediately remove these projects from
>> the landing page.
>>
>> Two of them are actually committee, at the same level of the other
>> OSGeo committee, that in my opinion should be equally promoted and
>> listed togheter.
>>
>> Best,
>> Maxi
>>

>> --
>> *Massimiliano Cannata*
>>
>> Professore SUPSI in ingegneria Geomatica
>>
>> Responsabile settore Geomatica
>>

>> Istituto scienze della Terra
>>
>> Dipartimento ambiente costruzione e design
>>
>> Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana
>>
>> Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio
>>
>> Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14
>>
>> Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09
>>
>> massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch <mailto:massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch>