[OSGeo-Discuss] GeoForAll Lab of the month – Institute of Geography, Faculty of Science, Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice, Slovakia

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 1 09:21:22 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

It is my great pleasure to introduce our colleagues at the Institute of Geography, Faculty of Science, Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice, Slovakia as the GeoForAll lab of the month.  Their research is closely integrated with teaching. Currently, they are running single Geography programme and Geography combined with another discipline in Bachelor level. The students gradually develop the GIS skills from the first year as undergraduates. The compulsory courses of Cartography and GIS involve necessary theoretical knowledge needed in the practical classes. The practical develop standard skills of geospatial data handling and analysis in the two alternatives, the proprietary and open source GIS. Later in the following two years, the students can opt for Open-source GIS or Graphics in Geography. The Master programmes strengthens and expands the skills in the classes such as Geospatial analysis and modelling which elucidates procedures of solar irradiation modelling, soil erosion modelling, geographically weighted regression, water flow analysis, etc. I would like to thank Dr.Michal Gallay for providing me all background information on the lab activities. More details of their research and teaching at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2017/08/geoforall-lab-of-the-month-institute-of-geography-faculty-of-science-pavol-jozef-safarik-university-in-kosice-slovakia/

It also helped me to reflect that many of our university labs (even just few years back!) were using proprietary GIS software ONLY before they switched to Open principles to ensure open innovation . All universities are welcome to start downloading all OSGeo software and install in your lab machines as you wish. You don't need any ones permission to install OSGeo software and teach your students . It is good to show students both proprietary and open solutions, so they start appreciating the importance of open solutions for innovation.  It will also help build open minds for students and contribute to open knowledge. We also welcome all academics and educators to give away OSGeo live DVDs [1] to your students. Freedom is a fundamental right.

I want to thank Prof. Jaro Hofierka  and all colleagues and students at Pavol Jozef Šafárik University for their contributions to the GeoForAll initiative . We are looking forward to working and building more collaborations with all interested on this education mission.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html

University of Nottingham.