[OSGeo-Discuss] Local chapter event planning (Ireland)

MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 02:16:16 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Seth G <sethg at geographika.co.uk> wrote:
> A question which is not answered in the above is what other local chapters
> do with regards to financing these events. We need to book a hotel
> conference suite - do most chapter's create bank accounts? Or do the
> organisers pay costs directly?
>
> Also what happens if there is a shortfall in funds (I'm guessing the event
> is cancelled or the organisers make up the difference), or alternatively a
> surplus?

On the events I have collaborated in Spain, we usually ask for some
sponsorship or donations. To make sure we all know this is not for
making money, sometimes we make the companies pay directly for some
things instead of having us in the middle. That way we don't have
shortfall or surpluses or even have to worry about bank accounts.

Also, we go for cheap. At least in Spain there are a lot of social
places (public or from other organizations) you can book for free or
for a small fee if you do a public and free event. So we only have to
take care of food and drinks, if any.