[OSGeo-Discuss] Is it possible for properitery GIS vendor to market thier properitery product as Open ?

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 24 13:37:44 PDT 2017

Kiringai and all,

Thanks to all who send your feedbacks from different perspectives to my query.  Openness means being open to different perspectives ,ideas, viewpoints, cultures  and learning and improving to be a better human every day... We are all part of a big ecosystem all working for Geo. GeoForAll means Geo for All and we welcome everyone to be part of Openness in Education.

The irony is that over 10 years back when i started putting my ideas and frameworks in place for Open Principles in Science and Education, some of the propertiery GIS vendors and thier supporters were laughing at me and doing thier best indirectly to stop me , but now it seems they are all working overtime trying to be Ambassodors of Openness!  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery . What amazing changes happening and OSGeo has done great work to accelerate the pace of Open in all directions.  I welcome all to be part of the Open movement.

One thing is clear . The Future of Geo is Open.

Best wishes,

Suchith