[OSGeo-Discuss] Is it possible for properitery GIS vendor to market thier properitery product as Open ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Mar 25 04:43:29 PDT 2017

On 25 March 2017 at 10:17, Suchith Anand <Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> My query was if the term Open can be used for marketing any properitery softwares and platforms and to know if there are any guidelines on this?

Nobody has a monopoly on use of the word.

BTW, without a secret, there is no technology advancement, there is no
motivation for development of counter-technologies.
Mind you, communities and businesses have long recognised without
open, there is no close and vice versa.
Hence, so called business-friendly open source licenses, LocationTech, etc.

Best regards,