[OSGeo-Discuss] Updated GeoForAll budget 2018

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 21 08:32:27 PST 2017

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your mail and volunteering to administer (on behalf of LOC Dar)  directly the $2k from the OSGeo board for this. I leave to the OSGeo Board to decide this as appropriate. Personally, I believe having FOSS4G in Africa in 2018, is a great opportunity esp. for the students in local universities there to ever get the opportunity to be a Global FOSS4G  and learn new ideas to help them develop.

I recently received an email from an educator in Uganda who said  “ It is crucially important for African students to interact with European professors. Books, journal articles etc., all come from Europe. Uganda for example has no single degree holding cartographer!” [1]. I believe FOSS4G Global coming to Africa is a great opportunity for many educators and students in Africa to meet directly colleagues from around the world and learn, so let us do our best to make this happen in whatever form which is best.

I really liked the idea that Maria  send earlier  today on having a separate track for students to present their work that FOSS4G-Europe is planning “FOSS4G-Europe we are considering asking for 1 000€ which will be split among 10 students awarded. This will mean the ticket cost to attend FOSS4G-Eu for them (100€).We intend to have a track for them so they can expose their work and not only have a poster and a mention.[2]

One option that  you and LOC  could consider is use the 2k specifically for arranging student track at FOSS4G 2018 and use the funding to cover registration fees of participating students . I am sure if we all think creatively, we can find a means to ensure more students get opportunity at FOSS4G and present their ideas.

FOSS4G is visiting Africa  in 2018 and we thank our hosts (local universities and many local colleagues there who are working hard to make it possible), so how can we as OSGeo give back something to the local community there. In my humble opinion, the best gift we can give is provide more opportunities to some of  students there to get opportunity to participate and give them a platform to share their ideas.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geoforall/2017-November/004256.html

[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-November/004570.html