[OSGeo-Discuss] [Geo4All] Call for Volunteers for Geodata Committee

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Nov 27 05:43:17 PST 2017

Colleagues,

(Hi Ron!)

Ron Fortunato and Trillium Learning is a leader in this collaborative area.
I believe the cloud-based system he is describing is "Basecamp" which is
indeed a great platform for collaboration and might be one GeoForAll
collaborations might want to consider, but I'm not sure of the annual cost
for such a system if we wanted to establish a collaborative platform for
GeoForAll lab collaborations to use.

Ron's list of needed functionality is great:

- Live chat - all team blog
- Project activities/workflow - threaded
- Task assignment scheduling/To-do lists, sub-threaded and capability to
assign team members tasks along with due dates
- Scheduled reporting structure
- Calendar linked to task assignment lists
- Database for containment and review of all project data, documentation,
media.

I'd add:

- Copyleft licensing (e.g., GPL or some open source license for software;
Creative Commons license allowing new derivative work for
documentation/educational materials)

I'm running to teach, *but I think we should take these ideas and develop a
shared document on these requirements that could help us identify what
system collaborative GeoForAll labs we could establish*.  I'll do that
sometime soon.

The collaborative documentation system historically in OSGeo and GeoForAll
has been the OSGeo wiki system. Should we continue to use that? Or are
there barriers to entry to using OSGeo's wiki that make it too hard to use?

So far, there are five entries here suggesting to me that it might be a
barrier: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_Labs_Edu_Collaborations
I could have built that with an open access/edit Google document, for
example, which might have been easier for people to edit.

Is access and use of the wiki a problem for others or is that list all the
collaborative interests we can identify? I think there is a new one in the
Uganda discussion but Daniel suggested he didn't have access to the wiki
which suggests to me a barrier for collaboration.

I'm looking forward to the GeoForAll webinar this Friday, where I think
we'll hear with the NCSU team has to say about collaborative platforms.

Let's keep trying to move true GeoForAll lab collaboration in education and
research forward.

Cheers all,

Charlie

I have

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Ronald Fortunato <ron at trilliumlearning.com
> wrote:

> Suchith,
>
> We use a project management system, which is secure and collaborative;
> joint project tools need to meet (at least) the following requirements:
> - Live chat - all team blog
> - Project activities/workflow - threaded
> - Task assignment scheduling/To-do lists, sub-threaded and capability to
> assign team members tasks along with due dates
> - Scheduled reporting structure
> - Calendar linked to task assignment lists
> - Database for containment and review of all project data, documentation,
> media.
>
> Let’s catch up; we have our labs in NY and Alaska working on collaborative
> projects utilizing these tools, as well as VTC.
>
> Ron
>
> Ron Fortunato
> President, Trillium Learning
> Mobile: (862) 222-2233
> Office (973) 907-2332
> Trillium Learning - Real-world Process-Based Learning
> A World Bridge® www.aworldbridge.com
>

> On Nov 26, 2017, at 1:04 AM, Suchith Anand <Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Patrick for this excellent links and ideas.
>
> Ron, I will be in contact with you on this for more ideas/joint work.
>
> Charlie - As we are now working on GeoForAll website migration/updates
> with Getinteractive, it makes sense to plan the collaboration tool you need
> for this in our website itself .Can you please let us know what exactly you
> need and will you be able to send us the needs/requirements  ?  Peter
> Mooney is the main contact for GeoForAll for the website migration/update
> plans . So if you can send this by 8th Dec, it will help us plan all this
> together. Thanks.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Suchith

Charlie Schweik

Professor
Department of Environmental Conservation &
School of Public Policy
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

"Make positive change in your sphere of influence." -- CMS