[OSGeo-Discuss] Rewording the diversity argument

María Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 00:23:22 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Marc Vloemans <marcvloemans1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Please notice that the concept of diversity is not about equal
> numbers/quota's. That has and will backfire as it misses the point and
> easily degrades individual achievements.
>
> It is essentially about 'inclusiveness'!
>
> I am trying to be sensitive to the European way of approaching the matter
> versus the American way. 'Diversity' as a term carries different
> connotations/values/interpretations for different cultures.
> Therefore I rather talk about 'inclusiveness' as everyone has felt left
> out at least once. So is able to relate to how that feels.
>
> Are we inviting and welcoming everyone that adds value in some way or is
> genuinely interested in OSGeo?
> Do we truly have the 'open' culture we pride ourselves on (e.g. past email
> treads attacking individuals could suggest differently)?
> Please, lets work on that, keep each other sharp and avoid window dressing.
>
> Kind regards,
> Marc Vloemans

Hi,

I agree that maybe the word diversity may be too cultural-related and maybe
we should avoid it as we may not be talking about the same things. Maybe
some native speakers can create a glosary of terms we can use when talking
about diversity and inclusiveness?

I know what to use in Spanish, but sometimes I am not sure how that
translates properly. It's like, can I say "black" if I am just being
descriptive? Because "afroamerican" may work fine in America, but what
about black people in Europe who has never been to America? "Afroeuropean"?
Why the difference? It is always confusing to me because I always get
different advices here.

Also, I think that being just welcoming and open on a pasive way is not
enough, which is how OSGeo has behave until now (or at least from my point
of view). That's the classic argument when men are asked about the lack of
women in tech. "We don't forbid them to come. If they would be interested,
they would be here. We will be happy if they join." And that's not how it
works. In my opinion, we have to be actively welcoming and inclusive at all
times. The slippery moment we forget, we are making people move away.

Op 13 okt. 2017 om 08:23 heeft María Arias de Reyna <delawen+osgeo at gmail.com>