[OSGeo-Discuss] Costly FOSS4Gs

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Oct 15 19:00:20 PDT 2017

Hi Ravi,

Great question, and an important topic for Charter members.  I know
there was a recent spreadsheet of relative costs (I was shown it
post-FOSS4G Boston), but that doesn't answer your question at all, as
your question is asking for our own opinions.

As you know, I have attended and help organize many FOSS4G events,
local, regional, and international, which gives me a good perspective to
analyze this.  In fact on Friday I'll leave for FOSS4G-State-of-the-Map
Argentina, which has a full registration cost of 20 USD (yes you read
that correct, not including workshop cost).  FOSS4G-Europe (I've
attended most of them) is consistently very affordable, and geared for
students.  Your FOSS4G-India is also geared for students.  FOSS4G-Japan
events (Kyoto.Kansai is happening now) is usually held at university
campuses or affordable venues.  FOSS4G-Asia events are always geared for
students, and are very affordable.  FOSS4G-Russia events are very
affordable (attendees must buy or bring their own lunches, and have no
problem with that). Our international FOSS4G's are not affordable
however, because the venue costs are so high (usually large conference
center venues, the only venue that can hold such a high number of
attendees usually, which has strict rules about food catering, and high
costs for those) that the only way we can break even is to charge
attendees a higher registration fee.

As I wrote in my manifesto, the original vision of FOSS4G by OSGeo was
to plant a seed in a new community - this was my vision as I managed the
selection process all those years.

Now fast forward to 2017, and what is OSGeo's vision of FOSS4G?  Let's
be honest, there are now many different factors involved today, than
back in 2005/2006.  We have such a strong academic, private, public
sector community in OSGeo today that all have different needs and
representation.  FOSS4G-Boston, at a strikingly gorgeous venue along the
Boston waterfront, was heavily attended by industry - as you likely
heard, it was an overwhelming success.  The harsh reality was that most
of the core that attended FOSS4G-Europe a few weeks before could not
afford FOSS4G-Boston (and it's downtown hotels etc).  But that is not a
knock against the Boston event - as that spreadsheet shows, the relative
costs haven't changed much, it has always been an expensive event.

So how do we have both, a core event where we can all afford to attend,
and at the same time have a bigger event that is needed by all academic,
private, public sectors?  Well, this in my opinion is where our
local/regional FOSS4G's play a very important role.

If I am elected to the Board, I would like to help bring the spotlight
to these smaller FOSS4G events, and help introduce some funding to help
these smaller events run by local chapters (recently I've tried
assisting several smaller events around the world to get funding from
the OSGeo Board, and I can tell you that it is very difficult for the
smaller event organizers to see through the red tape currently in
place).  I feel that we can do better as a foundation to help these
smaller FOSS4G events grow and shine.  This is my focus.  (we do have
Code Sprint funding available, but I'd like to put on the table for
discussion a "FOSS4G Regional Event Funding" process, to the OSGeo
Board, in the form of a grant/gift, nothing to do with "profit
sharing").  This would of course depend on the upcoming budget for the
foundation.  But that is one idea that I have.

In terms of reducing the cost of the international event, that is much
more difficult.  I know Ravi, that breaks our OSGeo heart reading this,
and it hurts writing that, but each year the local committee does their
best to keep costs as low as possible, given the venue demands (Boston,
the 2018 team, and the 2019 bidders all must keep cost under
consideration).  And the OSGeo Conference Committee is tasked with
keeping an eye on this as well.

I haven't solved anything, but I tried to give you my thoughts on your
good question. I can tell you that I am very concerned about FOSS4G
costs, and will do my best to represent your great interests, if elected
:)  I will also try to analyze this analysis spreadsheet more closely,
when I see it again (it was only shown to be in a dark bar ha, not the
best setting).

Good night here Ravi!  Great question.  -jeff

Wishing good luck to all the great candidates this year.  You are all
rock stars in my mind.