[OSGeo-Discuss] Costly FOSS4Gs

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 22:49:12 PDT 2017

Okay I checked that the report is not published yet (sigh). I really
appreciated Jeff's answer, and agree that regional foss4g events are seeing
great success and are much more affordable.

To answer your question:

*'Do you agree that FOSS4G is turning out to be a hangout for those who can
afford it'*..

I have never agreed that FOSS4G is a hangout - I continue to view it as our
most effective outreach event.

*costs (of participation) are  so high that many might not afford.. *

I very much agree with this, indeed I was only able to attend the Lausanne
event by the kindness of people letting me sleep on their hotel floor. I
have tried to return the favour each time the event took place in my home
city.

*If selected to the board HOW do you wish to correct this...*

This is a tricky one, in part because I do not have to imagine - here is my
own recommendation from the board at osgeo.org email list thread: f2f meeting