[OSGeo-Discuss] Costly FOSS4Gs

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 09:55:21 PDT 2017

I would like a chance to listen to everyone and avoid creating spits in our
community, some of the most critical feedback received about foss4g
affordability has been by companies. Our strength in part comes from
bridging divides, a foss4g for business would not be a foss4g.

Ravi can I ask if you would like to have a "hangout" or "party" event?

I was surprised to encounter the viewpoint that foss4g it is considered an
OSGeo party. While we have lots to celebrate, I view foss4g as a time when
we can best meet our outreach goals. I tend to view this as a
responsibility - the local organizing committee has specific brought us in
to knock-the-socks off the local geospatial community and show them how
amazing open source can be!

As a personal goal I am trying to be more relaxed about viewing OSGeo as a
party, our community members are amazing should be celebrated and
celebrating. It is one thing I really appreciated about the slower pace of
this years foss4g-europe event, think it was the first time I got to see
Andrea Amine slow down enough to talk to.

Thanks again for bringing interesting questions to this years elections.

--
Jody Garnett