[OSGeo-Discuss] what is open source

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Oct 16 11:52:38 PDT 2017

Hi Jody,

Should something be added in about the software/projects being community driven?

bobb

On Oct 10, 2017, at 9:20 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com<mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:

Can I invite review of "what is open source": http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/about/what-is-open-source/

I took our values from the brochure (the open source, and open geospatial) along with some inspiration from Helena's passion about open source projects being more that just software.

One point that was brought up at foss4ge was the importance of explaining "free and open". I think I have managed to do this - serving as a bridge between the ideas of open source, free software foundation promoting the concept of free and open, and how free and open is being applied in our community in the areas of open education, open data and open science.
--
Jody Garnett

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
—Wayne Gretzky